Murphy Oil – Tupper West Pipeline
Gas Liquids Engineering Ltd. (GLE) provided detailed design work and installation of a 23.9 km long 18 NPS sales gas pipeline for the Tupper West Gas Plant (also designed by GLE. See Feature Project). The pipeline was designed to flow 180 MMSCF/d of sweet sales gas from the Tupper West Gas Plant to a tie-in with TransCanada Pipelines (TCPL) at a MOP of 11800 kPag (1711 psig). Design features of the pipeline were:
- 23.9 km (14.9 mile) long pipeline, 457.2 mm (18 NPS) outside diameter
- Maximum Operating Pressure (MOP) of 11800 kPag (1711 psig)
- ESDV integration into the Plant’s Shutdown System
- Major river bore (Horizontal Direction Drill of Kiskatinaw River) 538 m in length
- The pipeline has now been operational for 5 years without any issues
- GLE’s Project Engineer performed an extensive analysis of the steel market and was able to advise our client on an opportune time & supplier for the procurement of line pipe. This resulted in substantial cost savings for the project.
- Successful crossing of a major river via HDD
- Future flexibility incorporated in the design; including provisions for a pig launcher & receiver. The pig launcher & receiver were successfully added a number of years later (GLE also provided EPCM services for this addition).